A Trip to the Southern Caribbean on a Ship Full of Bliss
More of a small boat or river boat cruiser, when I opt for a cruise of the Southern Caribbean, I go big: A group of friends and I decide to celebrate a milestone birthday aboard the Celebrity Summit. With plenty of amenities for just about any cruiser—from ball courts and a game room and a big pool to lots of lounges, a casino, and simply superb service (more on that in a moment)—we could not have chosen better. Here is what I particularly like:
- We arrive early on departure day, and boarding is not a hassle. This cruise line has smooth boarding down. Beverages offered to us along the way help. Overall, the process is speedy, and we are soon aboard the Celebrity Summit for our first lunch. We travel as Concierge Class and are glad that we do!
- An ice-covered martini bar tended by mixologists with moves like Tom Cruise in Cocktail is especially delightful. An after-dinner martini or two quickly became a fun habit. Enjoy it!
- For more sober pursuits, a coffee and dessert bar (formally known as Café Al Bacio & Gelateria) offers sweet and caffeinated pick-me-ups at many hours of the day.
- Decent internet: Okay, as much as we vow to be disconnected, some of us have deadlines no matter when we try to get away. I’ve been on cruises where I had to track down an internet café onshore to get some decent semblance of an internet connection. Not on the Summit! It’s high-speed internet service works well.
- The herbal steam room in the Persian Garden of the Canyon Ranch Spa Club is pretty much heaven for me—steam, eucalyptus, solitude, and moisturizer. Ohmm… The sauna frequently beckons as well.
- Room service! The Brawny Sherpa and I join our friends every evening for cocktails and dinner but quickly discover the early morning bliss of dining on our stateroom balcony. Having coffee and breakfast delivered every morning is the ne plus ultra pour moi.
- Pampering: Okay, I pretty much live at the Canyon Ranch Spa Club when I am onboard—I get some sparkling new highlights, a haircut, and a blowout with Sophie during our day at sea. We also book massages with some peppermint attention for our feet. It is well worth it—I just wish I could go back soon!
- The saltwater pool in the solarium offers its own special bliss—even more because it is solely for the 16-plus crowd. Also in the solarium is the Spa Café offering healthful lunches and wonderful green protein smoothies.
- A champagne party on the ship’s helipad is delightfully civilized—bubbles and beautiful views.
- Off-menu is okay: We mostly dine in the Cosmopolitan restaurant—made that much better as our server, upon learning of my proclivity for vegetables over animal products, puts together special combinations just for me.
- Gaming for Grownups: I’m a sucker for the Sex and the City slot machine—and the onboard casino happens to have one! I am Carrie if only briefly in my dreams.
- One more reason to like this particular ship and this particular cruise line in the new era of female power: Both are led by women! Captain Kate McCue helms the Summit, and Celebrity CEO and President Lisa Lutoff-Perlo helms the company. Brava!
- And there’s more! Okay, our stateroom is great—quiet, clean, sufficiently large for two people, and with balcony—and onboard activities and live music and entertainment keep us engaged as well. I could go on and on. Just go!
Planning a Caribbean cruise? You might like these posts:
What is your favorite cruise ship?