Chicago is the sort of place you visit for a limited purpose, to see an exhibit at the Art Institute, to tag along on a companion’s business trip, to attend the Blues Festival, to shop the Magnificent Mile. In short, it’s a town that tends to be taken in smaller bites. You might mix your purpose with a landmark or two, a must-see to which you happen to be in close proximity. If you’re the Brawny Sherpa, you’ll jump in a cab and tell the driver to take you for a ride. However you happen to experience Chicago, here are some places to pick:
Tribune Tower: With pieces of landmarks affixed to its façade, this building manages to be a history lesson and a bucket list all in one. How many historic sites mentioned on its cladding have you visited?
- Must-Sees in Chicago: Willis Tower’s Skydeck
- For a more civilized vantage, go to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the John Hancock building.
- John Hancock Building, 875 N. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
For People Watching
For Carnivores (although green options are available!)
- The Purple Pig, 500 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Ill. 60611
- Gibsons Chicago, 1028 North Rush Street, Chicago, Ill. 60611
For the Vegan Set
For Casual Dining
- Sprinkles Cupcakes and its Cupcake ATM, 50 East Walton Street, Chicago, Ill. 60611
Viable Places to Stay
- Fairmont Chicago, 200 North Columbus Drive, Chicago, Ill. 60601
- Talbott Hotel, 20 East Delaware Place, Chicago, Ill. 60611
- under renovation but slated to reopen in May 2017