What to Expect in Sin City when You Flee the Snow
1. A lot of things look like home.
2. People walk slowly in Vegas, even the young skinny ones. Way slow.
3. To cross most streets on the Strip, you’ll need to go up and over. You don’t need to worry about pedestrians blocking the box. If you’re hoofing it, you can’t even get to the box.
4. You can find healthful food in Las Vegas, but good luck figuring out how much of that smoothie you are going to have to walk off. As much as I disparage the nanny state, I appreciate those calorie-counts on goodies at coffee bars back home a bit more.
5. People are allowed to smoke in casinos. And they do.
6. Let’s just say that nobody runs taxi stands like they do in the real apple. You will appreciate the efficiency of the taxi line at JFK very soon.
7. Sex and the City junkies, rejoice—a little. There’s a cute pinkish slot machine with the ladies, and that theme music draws you in. Mr. Big pays out more than Carrie does. Playing is still fun, though. Really fun. Thank you, Candace Bushnell, Darren Star, Sarah Jessica Parker, Chris Noth, HBO, IGT, et al. The Brawny Sherpa and I discover we have fundamentally different opinions on why Big is called Big. We both play on.
Coming Soon: It Ain’t New York, but It’s Show Business
Headed to Nevada? Consider this post: